Endowed Professorships

Paul G. Blazer Professorship in Economics

The Paul G. Blazer Professorship in Economics was established by Ashland Oil Inc. and Mrs. James T. Norris in memory of her late husband Paul G. Blazer, a former Ashland CEO and Centre trustee. It was first awarded in 1981.

Ewing T. Boles Professorships

The Ewing T. Boles Professorships were established by a bequest from Ewing T. Boles, Class of 1916. He was a Columbus businessman, CEO of The Ohio Co., and Centre board chair (1964-69). The Boles professorships encourage and denote leadership in academics and public affairs in the region and beyond. They were first awarded in 1994.

James Graham Brown Professorship in Economics

The James Graham Brown Professorships in Economics were established by a grant from the James Graham Brown Foundation in 1992. Mr. Brown was a Louisville businessman and philanthropist.

Paul L. Cantrell Professorship in Humanities

The Paul L. Cantrell Professorship in Humanities, a three-year rotating professorship, was established in 1997 by a gift from J. David Grissom, Class of 1960. Dr. Cantrell taught Shakespeare and drama at Centre from 1949 to 1989.

J. Rice Cowan Professorship in English

The J. Rice Cowan Professorship in English was established in 1962 by a bequest from Dr. Cowan, a Danville physician, member of the Class of 1890, and 18-year chair of the Centre Board of Trustees.

Gordon B. Davidson Professorship in History

The Gordon B. Davidson Professorship in History was established by the BellSouth Corporation in honor of former BellSouth director and Centre trustee emeritus Gordon B. Davidson, Class of 1949. It was first awarded in 1998.

Elizabeth Molloy Dowling Professorship in Science

The Elizabeth Molloy Dowling Professorship in Science was established by a bequest from Elizabeth Molloy Dowling, Class of 1907. First awarded in 1997, the three-year rotating professorship recognizes promise and achievement among faculty in the science and mathematics division.

Margaret V. Haggin Professorship in Science

The Margaret V. Haggin Professorship in Science was established by a gift from the Margaret V. Haggin Trust of New York and first awarded in 1997.

John Marshall Harlan Professorship in Government

The John Marshall Harlan Professorship in Government was established in 1994. John Marshall Harlan, Class of 1850, is widely acclaimed as one of the Supreme Court’s greatest justices. His most famous dissent came in 1896, when he argued against the majority in Plessy v. Ferguson, the case that made “separate but equal” the law of the land.

Charles T. Hazelrigg Professorship in Humanities

The Charles T. Hazelrigg Professorship in Humanities, a three-year rotating professorship, was established in 1997 by a gift from J. David Grissom, Class of 1960. Dr. Hazelrigg, Class of 1937, joined the English program in 1941, taught full time until 1981, and then part time for another six years.

Frank B. and Virginia B. Hower Professorship in International
Studies

The Frank B. and Virginia B. Hower Professorship in International Studies was established in 2005 by a grant from the James Graham Brown Foundation in honor of Frank Hower, member of the board at the Brown Foundation and at Centre College.

Alfred P. and Katherine B. Jobson Professorship

The Alfred P. and Katherine B. Jobson Professorship was established by a bequest from Mr. and Mrs. Jobson and was first awarded in 1996. He was an executive vice president with Marsh and McLennan Inc., a New York City insurance firm. The Jobsons had ties to Centre through family and friends.

Pierce and Amelia Harrington Lively Professorship in
Government and Law

The Pierce and Amelia Harrington Lively Professorship in Government and Law was established in 2005 by gifts to the endowment in honor of Judge Lively and his wife Amelia and their many significant contributions to the life of the College.

Charles J. Luellen Professorship in English

The Charles J. Luellen Professorship in English was established in 1997 by the Ashland Inc. Foundation in honor of Charles J. Luellen, a Centre trustee and retired president of Ashland Oil.

W. George Matton Professorships

The W. George Matton Professorships were established in 1969 by a bequest from W. George Matton, a Louisville tobacco executive and friend of the College.

National Endowment for the Humanities Professorships

The National Endowment for the Humanities Professorships were established by an NEH challenge grant. First awarded in 1988, these rotating awards recognize promise and achievement among members of the humanities faculty or those with interests in the humanities.

Claude D. Pottinger Professorship in History

The Claude D. Pottinger Professorship in History was established by a bequest from Mr. Pottinger and was first awarded in 1990.

Nelson D. and Mary McDowell Rodes Professorship

The Nelson D. and Mary McDowell Rodes Professorship was established in 1996 in memory of their parents by Mr. and Mrs. Rodes’ four surviving children: Nelson D. Rodes, Jr., Class of 1954; Joe Rodes, Class of 1953; Clifton Rodes, Class of 1949; and Charles Owsley Rodes.

H. W. Stodghill, Jr. and Adele H. Stodghill Professorships

The H.W. Stodghill, Jr. and Adele H. Stodghill Professorships were established by a bequest from Mr. and Mrs. Stodghill. Mr. Stodghill was a member of Centre’s Board of Trustees and a member of the class of 1936. The professorships, now 10 in number, were first awarded in 2004.

John C. Walkup Professorship in Chemistry

The John C. Walkup Professorship in Chemistry was established by Joseph Patterson, Class of 1961, who studied under long-time Centre chemistry professor John C. Walkup. It was first awarded in 1997.

John M. and Louise Van Winkle Professorship in Humanities

The John M. and Louise Van Winkle Professorship in Humanities was established by a bequest from Mr. and Mrs. Van Winkle. John M. Van Winkle, Class of 1925, was a Centre trustee from 1947 until his death in 1974. The professorship was first awarded in 1996.